- Keep your plans to yourself and avoid sharing them with others. Hide your strength, bide your time.
- If someone brags about their success or happiness, assume it’s half what they claim.
- If someone downplays their success or happiness, assume it’s double what they claim.
- When you see a photo of an influencer looking attractive on Instagram -- assume there are 99 worse variations of that photo you haven't seen.
- If worried about people's opinions, remember they are too busy worrying about other people's opinions of them.
- If unsure what action to pick, let your 90-year-old self on death bed choose it.
Perell's Hotel Bathroom Principle
- Always dress well enough to walk into any bathroom at a hotel you're not staying at and get away with it.
Bezos 2 Pizza Rule
- Any collaborative team should be small enough to be fed by two pizzas.
- You remember the high point and the end point of your holiday, but the rest is forgotten.
Rule of Silence
- The only way to truly hear yourself is in silence.
Rule of Hurt People
- Remember that hurt people will hurt people.
Rule of Over-Insurance
- Nature likes to over-insure itself. Layers of redundancy are central to risk management.
Rule of Vanilla
- The world wants you to be vanilla. But the minute you are, they abandon you.
Rule of Happiness
- If it keeps you happy, keep it quiet.
Rule of the Trio
- Remember that nothing teaches better than this trio: the fears, the tears, the years.
- Put everything in your calendar. Stop spending brain power holding things in RAM. Clear your mind. Put in dinners, gym time, birthdays, commutes, brainstorms, writing, shopping, bill reminders, followups, appointments. All of it.
- Be the last to speak to earn respect.
- When you think something nice about someone, let them know right then.
- To eat healthier, do your shopping on the outer perimeter of the grocery store.
Life Formulas from Naval's Writing
- Happiness = Health + Wealth + Good Relationships
- Health = Exercise + Diet + Sleep
- Exercise = High intensity resistance training + Sports + Rest
- Diet = Natural foods + Intermittent Fasting + Plants
- Sleep = No alarms + 8-9 hours + Circadian rhythms
- Wealth = Income + Wealth * (Return on Investment)
- Income = Accountability + Leverage + Specific Knowledge
- Take a second to pause before you respond. Become less reactive.
- On the lowering part of your lifts, count to 3 seconds before fully resetting.
Rule of Forgiveness
- If someone admits they made a mistake, have the grace to let it go.